Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Too Much Chocolate?

Can you get too much of a good thing? I believe that we came close to going over the line on this one!

We were invited to a fund-raiser for a Christian Youth Center in Hicksville, Ohio. One of the men in our church is a regional Youth For Christ leader in that area. I thought it sounded REALLY interesting, so I talked my hubby into going with me.


It was advertised as a "sit-down meal" of chocolate, chocolate, chocolate and they called it "A Chocolate Chalet". I couldn't quite imagine a whole meal with chocolate in every course--thus my interest in going.(you can enlarge the invitation on the right to see that it does say sit-down meal.)


When we arrived they greeted us, had us sign up for a grand prize drawing, and actually had a coat-check for our coats. It started with hors-d'oeuvres; there were chocolate candies, what looked like a cheese ball but was frosting with mini chocolate chips to put on graham crackers, chocolate-covered pretzels,etc.


Of course, there was also a chocolate fountain with all kinds of things to dip--strawberries, pineapple, angel food cake pieces, etc.


THEN it was time for the sit-down meal. The tables (and chairs) were beautifully decorated. We were served by some of the boys who go to the youth center--with some adult supervision of course. But they did a great job, and looked great in their chef hats.


The first course was the two pieces of candy on the plate. I also wanted you to see how pretty the place settings were.


The second course was a little piece of what I think was chocolate cheese cake and this little mouse. He was very cute. I'm sorry I didn't get a good picture of him. I shared Lynn's and brought mine home, but the pictures I took here were blurry.


The third course was from "dairi-d-lite" and I thought at first it was ice cream, with a long crispy cookie. I think maybe it was like a sherbert or chocolate ice.


The last course was a beautiful (and delicious) chocolate cake. They brought a cake to each table and we cut our own pieces. Surprisingly, one of the men actually did the honors of cutting the cake.

Now, let me say, it was all very wonderful. But was it a meal? It certainly wasn't what I was anticipating. What was I thinking? I guess my first clue should have been that it started at 7:30pm but then I know sometimes people eat late. I love chocolate, and enjoyed it all. My hubby got a "chocolate headache" and ate a sandwich when we got home.

I kept thinking that there is a Bible verse that says something about doing all things in moderation, and not to excess. (I couldn't figure out where it is so maybe I have it wrong). However, I believe this was just a LITTLE bit on the side of excess when it comes to chocolate. Oh yes! As a final touch, they sent us each home with a piece of "Debrand's" chocolate in a cute little box!

Have I had my chocolate fix to last me for a while? Probably not!

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Un-BE-LIEV-A-Ble!

It really WAS well done - you've gotta say! And it WAS "sit down". And I'm sure there were enough calories for a meal....

Donna's Book Nook said...

Rebecca--there were probably enough calories for 3 meals!

Diana said...

I like chocolate but can only eat so much at a time. My husband however.... well that dinner sounded right up his alley!!
It really did look beautiful Donna. It must have been a wonderfully unusual experience! Love Di ♥

Wanda..... said...

Very original...I've never heard of such a happening. I do eat a piece of dk. chocolate every day, but never a meal of it! Must have been fun, though.

Brenda said...

Wow! That does sound yummy! I would have thought meal as well .. . We went to a chocolate dinner last year and there was salad with chocolate, meat with chocolate and white chocolate in some vegetables. It sounds like yours was my favorites at every course. Fun and cute idea.

Dee said...

You lucky duck:) This would be my kind of a fund raiser. YUM!!!!

Lynn said...

What a neat idea! My kind of fun!

Cindy said...

Wow...my blood sugar rose just looking at the photos! lol

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

My kind of meal...

~elaine