Sunday, May 22, 2011

My Shadow

I am very excited, as the weather has finally been nice enough for me to start walking again. It just does something for your spirit and sense of vitality, at least for me. So yesterday, it was a beautiful, sunny morning and I took off on my country roads for a walk. I decided to walk just over a mile to Janelle's house (my step-daughter), as my hubby was cutting off a big dead tree limb over there. I could hear birds singing, there was a slight breeze, it was great!

I was headed East, and I noticed that my long full-body shadow was straight out in front of me. I don't know why that caught my attention. On my way back home, I happened to glance behind me, and sure enough, that shadow was straight out behind me.

A strange thing happened; I all-of-a-sudden remembered a poem I had memorized when I was in grade school. So I started quoting it. I got through most of the first verse, but could only remember bits and pieces of the rest. So of course, I had to google it when I got home. Just in case you've never heard it, I decided to share it with you here.

My Shadow (by Robert Louis Stevenson)

I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
And I see him jump before me when I jump into my bed.

The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to grow--
Not at all like proper children, which is always very slow.
For he sometimes shoots up taller like an india-rubber ball,
And he sometimes gets so little that there's none of him at all.

He hasn't got a notion of how children ought to play,
And can only make a fool of me in every sort of way.
He stays so close beside me, he's a coward you can see;
I'd think shame to stick to nursie as that shadow sticks to me!

One morning, very early, before the sun was up,
I rose and found the shining dew on every buttercup.
But my lazy little shadow, like an errant sleepy-head,
Had stayed at home behind me and was fast asleep in bed.

I have a "Heavenly Shadow" who goes in and out with me, walks and talks with me, and sticks close beside me, and I'm so glad He does!

Psalm 121:5-8 The Lord watches over you--the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm--he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, yes! I have a Shadow, too! (I remember the first and last verse of that poem but have never taken the time to memorize the ones in between....)

Wanda..... said...

The poem rings a bell...but only the first two lines! It's lovely and I'm glad to have read all the rest!

Brenda said...

Yes. I definitely remember the poem and can also quote some of it. Was it teachers in school or Mom that encouraged us to memorize poetry? I still remember several that I learned. I just ran across the one that I heard Mom quote on various occasions. I am wondering if you know which one I am thinking of . . .?