Friday, June 10, 2011

The "Eyes" Have It!

Psalm 119:18 Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.

Psalm 141:8 But my eyes are fixed on you, O Sovereign Lord; in you I take refuge.

Proverbs 15:3 The eyes of the Lord are everywhere, keeping watch...

Sunday evening I began experiencing visual disturbances in my right eye. At first I just thought I had some hairs hanging down over my glasses, but I didn't think my hair was that long! I tried to brush them away, but they continued to be there, floating in front of my eye. Then that night, when the house was dark I started seeing a flashing light in my peripheral vision, moving in an arc vertically. Well, of course when I mentioned these things to Lynn, he said "Call Dr. Walker tomorrow!"

I have had Macular Degeneration in that eye for almost 3 years, and now get frequent injections to keep my eyesight in that eye at about 20/50. However, I had never experienced anything like this.

I was able to get in to Dr. Walker on Tuesday. When I told him what was going on, he said "Well this could be nothing, or it could be something really not good". Well, of course, this did nothing to relieve my concerns!

After a thorough exam, he said, Well you do have a problem, but fortunately we can treat it. He went on to explain that I have a retinal tear. In normal aging, the jelly inside the eye starts to pull away from the retinal wall and shrink. However, in my case, a piece of the jelly stuck to the wall and caused a tear in the retina. He did a laser treatment, which he said will seal it off and fix the tear. However, he said that the visual symptoms I'm having will not go away for about 2-3 months. (As a side note, this had nothing to do with my previous condition--it is a separate issue).

So, if you see me trying to brush the bangs out of my eyes, just realize that it has become sort of a natural instinct to try to get rid of the "floating" hairs that are now my constant companion.

I am so thankful for doctors who have the knowledge and expertise to take care of these things, and I'm especially grateful to the Lord that I continue to have good enough eyesight to do all the things I love to do--read, computer, drive, etc. I am indeed blessed.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I just tried to comment - but I'm not sure it "took". I'll try again.

I'm wondering if you experienced any pain with this????

If you need a ride to an appointment, would you please call me.

I hope you're enjoying this shower as much as I am. I'm planning to do some serious reading this morning - not serious books, but spend some "serious" time.

Brenda said...

I am so very thankful for technology and good doctors. We are blessed. Bob says, "The 'floaters' will go away." He still sees the arc type flashes but they are not as bothersome. They are more prevalent when he turns his head sharply and are most noticeable at night.

I hope your symptoms improve quickly.

Bernie said...

My BIL had the same thing Donna, he had to have surgery. I agree, we are so blessed to have such great doctors to care for us. God Bless......:-)Hugs