Saturday, February 9, 2008

Medicine For The Soul

I had decided that I wanted to add a quotation of some kind to the header on my blog. So I did a search on quotations about books. I had absolutely no idea that there were SO many quotations about books and reading! It took me quite some time to decide which one I wanted to add to my header. So I decided I would share some of the others on this blog.

The title for this blog is an inscription over the door of the library at Thebes. I think many times reading is definitely medicine for my soul.

A good book should leave you..slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it.

My test of a good novel is dreading to read the last chapter

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a littl as if you have lost a good friend.

I just finished reading another really good book by one of my favorite authors. It's really true that you kind of dread coming to the end. Fortunately, she will be coming out with one more book in this series.

Some of the quotes were a little more philosophical and gave me some food for thought:

Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one mind to another.

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Just a few more that seemed to ring true for me:

Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end of a long day makes that day happier.

The pleasure of all reading is doubled when one lives with another who shares the same books

(I lived for 3 months with a very good friend, while recouperating from a surgery; we both loved to read and often read and discussed the same books.)

So, to anyone who hasn't already discovered the wonderful world or reading, give it a try. I think you'll like it.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Great quotes! I especially like the one about the bees!
Love,
Brenda