Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Man's Best Friend

My husband, Lynn, and his daughter Janelle have had their dog, Allie, for 11 years. She has been a really good dog with a sweet personality. In the last few months she has shown signs of aging. Then for the last 2 weeks she has had a hard time walking and walks with a limp. She also hasn't wanted to eat very much. They took her to the Vet and he said she has some little masses that could be bone cancer.

Allie has been a real friend and companion for Lynn, especially in the 2 years that he was alone after his first wife died. I do not consider myself an animal lover, but I have really enjoyed having Allie around. When my first husband died I decided I needed to find a good home for our dalmatian, Oreo. John was the one that took care of her and played with her most of the time. After he died, we were not around much during the day and I felt it would be better to find her a good home. We found her a really good home to go to, but my daughter Sara was devastated. She, too, was an animal lover and grieved when Oreo left.

So today is a really sad day, as they are going to take Allie to the Vet tonight to be put to sleep. For Janelle and Lynn it is like losing a member of the family. They will really miss her, and it will seem lonely around here without her.

No comments: