Sunday, May 11, 2008

Memories of Mother

Holidays and special days always cause us to go back in time to some of the wonderful memories that have made these times special for us. This is especially true of Mother's Day. For many of us our mothers are no longer with us. It somehow brings them back for a moment of time, as we remember some of the things that we most loved about them.

My sister, Brenda, asked me today what were some of my special memories of our mom. She had some specific incidents that she related. At first I couldn't think of a specific story. I remember things like the fact that in the winter she would always have hot oatmeal for breakfast before we left for school. ( She also watched faithfully for the bus, and let us know exactly when we had to get out the door in order to meet the bus.)

I also remember after my daughter was born, when she was 3 weeks old, I flew home to spend a couple weeks with mom and dad. I had an almost 3-yr. old son and my baby girl. It was a really stressful trip, as my planes had delays, and we got to Toledo airport much later than we expected to. She was there waiting for us, and very worried about us, and very glad to have her daughter and grandkids safely home with her.

At mom's funeral, so many people came up to me and told me stories about how my mom had helped them in so many ways, and how she was such an encouragement to them. I felt I learned things about her that I never really knew, and it was great to hear their memories.

It's been said that a mother will love you even if you feel like no one else in the world loves you. I think I've felt that way a few times in my life; and yes, I always knew that my mom (and dad, too) really loved me.

I found this poem, that I really liked, and decided to share it here.

A mother's love is something that no one can explain
It is made of deep devotion and of sacrifice and pain.

It is endless and unselfish and enduring come what may
For nothing can destroy it or take that love away.

It is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking
And it never fails or falters even thought the heart is breaking.

It believes beyond believing when the world around condemns
And it glows with all the beauty of the rarest, brightest gems.

It is far beyond defining, it defies all explanation
And it still remains a secret like the mysteries of creation.

A many splendored miracle man cannot understand
And another wondrous evidence of God's tender, guiding hand.

No comments: