Friday, November 7, 2008

Make New Friends--Keep The Old

At Naomi's home

Naomi with the geese

A fountain in the park
(I love this picture)

Some of the trees

Some of us are privileged to have many "true, blue" friends, the kind that will stick by you and support you, no matter what is going on in your life. I think we are truly fortunate if we have even just a few friends like that.

Naomi is that kind of friend. She lived across the street from my mother-in-law in Oklahoma City. After my first husband passed away, my mother-in-law, Gloria, and I became really good friends. She is a sweet lady with a sense of humor, and we really enjoy each other's company. Naomi and Gloria had also become best friends and would see each other every day. When both of them were still able, they would go to art classes together and just "hang out".

Naomi is physically handicapped; she has gotten worse and is now wheel-chair bound. She is a retired nurse, has written poetry and short stories (and been published). She has such a positive attitude and it is a delight to visit with her.

In June 2008 it became apparent that she could not continue to take care of herself, so she has moved to live with her daughter in Terre Haute, Indiana. I know it has been a difficult adjustment, but her daughter is taking good care of her. She especially misses her friend, Gloria, so very much. Now that I am re-married I live in Woodburn, Indiana so I decided I wanted to go visit Naomi. I spent this past Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning with her, and we had a wonderful visit!

Naomi had not been out of the house since her move in June. I told her I was going to get her out for a while. We were able to get her to my car in her wheel chair and so we were off for our adventure. Wednesday was an absolutely beautiful day, so I took her to a park. She is a nature lover, and was so excited at seeing all the beautiful trees. We also got to feed the geese. What a great day to be outside and enjoying each other and nature.

On Thursday morning I took her to Walmart. As a woman, I know sometimes it's just nice to be able to shop for yourself, instead of having someone always do it for you. Naomi had such a great time; she bought a Christmas present for her daughter, some capri pants for her. She loves pretty dishes, so I bought her a pretty coffee cup and matching bowl for her "grits". She also got some snack items to keep in her room. What a great time she had, and it was really fun for me to be able to do this for her. We finished our morning at Subway, right there in Wal-Mart, and had a little lunch before I took her home.

There is a verse that says, "There is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother". Naomi is that kind of friend. I was so glad that we could have a couple of special outings together.

2 comments:

Dee said...

Oh Donna, I like you more all the time.God gave me a best friend 48 years ago. Her name is Sue. Then he gave me Frank 38 years ago. I also love your fountain in the park photo. Looks like it could be put on a calendar, or a magnet for your fridge. Walmart has a kinds of neat ideas. Dee

Cindy said...

I loved this post about Naomi. She's as lucky to have you as a friend as you are to have her.