Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Hope is in God My Savior

Psalm 25:4,5 "Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth, and teach me. For you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.


These are my memory verses for the first 2 weeks of January . I plan to be accountable through blogland, initiated through Leah, at The Point. I want to not only memorize them, but meditate on them. The plan is to memorize a new verse/verses every 2 weeks. (By the way, it's not too late to join us, if you'd like to be included in this Bible memory accountability group.)

So, I wanted to see if I could find out more about 2 words in these verses. First, what exactly is God's truth? I first went to Webster; it said "that which conforms to fact or reality; characterized by being in accord with what is, has been or must be". My New Concise Bible Dictionary, edited by Derek Williams, says "truth is an attribute of God who is utterly reliable." It also says He judges in truth and that demands a truthful response to him through obedience.

To me, it means that my God is absolutely dependable, and that He has provided His Word to show me the truths I need to live by. It is very reassuring to me, that because He himself IS truth, I can totally trust in His word to be truth.

Second, I was thinking about Hope. We hear that word tossed around a lot. "I hope it doesn't snow", or "I hope I get that job". Even when there seems to be no rational grounds for it, people continue to hope; and more often than not, they are sorely disappointed. Webster says, "desire with expectation of obtaining what is desired, or belief that it is obtainable; trust".

In this verse, it tells us what true hope should be. Our hope needs to be placed in the Lord, and not in any situation or circumstance. It is belief in our God, who keeps His promises and who works in our daily lives and circumstances for our best good. Hope , Faith and trust are almost synonymous. We put our trust, and hope in the Lord, who has proven His faithfulness over and over again.

So, as I seek to know His truth, and place my hope in Him, I can be assured that He will show me the path that I should go. We truly have an awesome God!

6 comments:

Bernie said...

Donna, what a beautiful and uplifting post, thank you for sharing.....I also want to say that you did a beautiful thing by going to the hospital to be with Rebecca, something a true and loving friend would do.....Have a wonderful day......:-) Hugs

Dee said...

Hi, I like the definition of hope that you have given. It is not in the situation or circumstance but in the Lord himself. Awesome! I love bible study but am not good at memorization or I would join in.

Rebecca said...

Sounds like you're getting a good handle on your first verse, Donna! Good for you. You're not just memorizing "words" but foundational truths to anchor your soul when the seas get stormy!

Annie said...

Beautiful verse and post!!! So true!!! What a wonderful way to begin the year, with God and His words. I may join in later so I hope you keep posting the verses you are memorizing. Also, I changed my blog so it is much easier on the eyes. :)
Blessings

Becky said...

Thank you Donna for your post. I love your definations. I would also love to join the memorization group. I get so tied up in school and work; I need to make time for God. Afterall he made time for me. Thank you again

Leah Adams said...

Donna,

I love it that you are internalizing the words that you are memorizing. I try to do the same thing. Thank you for the link to Challenge 2010. Would love to have any of your friends join us...even if they only meditate on the scripture rather than memorize. That is so valuable.

Leah