Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Special Visit

I have been trying to arrange a visit for Nichole's kids for a long time. It seemed like every time I tried to set a date, something would come up that they couldn't go. I was beginning to think that the aunt who is keeping them didn't want them to go for some reason.

Nichole's counselor really wanted her to have a visit from the kids to see how they respond to her, before she gets released. So I finally had a "comin-to-Jesus" talk with the aunt and with the kids dad, and said Nichole really needs to see her kids. Do you have any conflict on July 6th? They said they had no conflict and we arranged for me to take the kids and their dad to see Nichole.

She had not seen her kids for almost one year; at that time they were 1 y/o and 2 y/o. (in the picture above)

They are now 2 and 3 years old, and as you can see from the pictures, have really changed.

I thought this was so adorable. Nyla has a look that says, "Do we really have to do this?"

We had a great visit, and the kids did warm up to Nichole, although it took them a little time, especially Nyla. As you can possibly tell, R.J. is very out-going and responded well to her. But Nlya did sit on Nichole's lap while we attempted to play Candy Land.

We visited for 2 hours (which is the limit) and then started home. It's a 3 hour drive from the kids home to the prison, so I knew they were getting a little tired. We stopped as soon as we left the prison and ate lunch; it was about 2:30pm and we hadn't eaten lunch, although we had some snacks at the prison. At the Burger King, Nyla wanted me to hold her. I think it might have just been a little overwhelming for her.

They slept for most of the way home, but were restless and a little grumpy the last 50 miles. I'm not used to being around little kids that much, but gave them some books, animal crackers and drinks in sippy cups, and we did very well. (I had seen them several different times, so they kind of know me).

I was so pleased that I was finally able to take the kids. I know Nichole was so excited and loved every minute of it. (She e-mailed me and said, 'after you left I felt kind of sad and overwhelmed, and I had to sit down and cry a minute'.) But she was so, so grateful that I was finally able to bring the kids to see her.

Matthew 25: 34-40 Then the King will say...For I was hungry...I was thirsty...Iwas a stranger and you took me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we ...see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, yu did for me'.


Bernie said...

Donna you have brought a tear to my eye with this post, I am sure there will be a special place in heaven for you as what you did by bringing these children to visit their mom is such a wonderful thing. Have a wonderful weekend my friend.......:-) hugs

Diana said...

You are an angel in my eyes Donna.
Love Di ♥

Rebecca said...

That verse you quoted at the end pretty well sums up your experience and how the Father must view your efforts. I can't imagine the dynamic of mother/children after a year of separation! Did you say the father went along? Were you all able to be in a room at the same time???

Donna's Book Nook said...

Yes, Rebecca, they have a fairly large visitor's center with vending machines, and tables. There is also a little playroom for kids. Yes, their dad went along. He's sort of quiet and he also slept a lot during the ride there and back. He and Nichole had a chance to discuss some things, which was good.

Brenda said...

Thank you, Donna, for your perseverance. I am proud of you. The verse that you quoted is just right. Blessings on you. Much love,