Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Birthday Blessings

Uno and a movie

Cards--from Hubby and step-mom,

--- and from both sisters!


Ok! Ok! I know I was reaching for pictures on this one! It's just that being the avid blogger that I am, I can't believe I forgot to take my camara with me to Ohio on Saturday the 13th. All of my siblings, and their spouses and Katie were going to be there. The plan was to take an inventory of what's in Dad's barn, and make some decisions about his estate.

As it happened, it absolutely poured down rain on Saturday morning! my poor brother-in-law, Bob, had to collect honey from his bee hives at the farm that morning. I felt so bad for him! For more details see Brenda's perspective. We all went to the Home restaurant for lunch for some comfort food (chili, soup, salad, etc). It sort of cleared up in the afternoon, and the guys were able to do some sorting at the barn. The rest of us visited with Kay.

Lou, Brenda and I also went to Fairlawn and visited our Aunt Fannie and Aunt Mable. Aunt Fannie is mid-90's (94?) and Aunt Mable is 100! They both are failing physically and Aunt Mable has struggled with memory as well. However, it was very sad to see that Aunt Fannie was really struggling with memory issues as well that day. I hadn't really seen her that way before.

Saturday evening we went to the up-scale new restaurant in Archbold, Stella Blue, to celebrate my birthday and Kay's. The food was really good and we had an absolutely hilarious waitress (excuse me! Server!) who kept us laughing. We had a really great time. Lynn had brought a cake, and so we had cake (and most of us had ice cream with it) for dessert.

Sunday noon after church Lynn took me out again to eat, as he didn't want me to have to cook on my birthday. Then Sunday evening we were home, and he said what do you want to do. I'm here this evening to spend the time with you. he said, "we can watch a movie, or if you'd rather just read, or whatever you want." Well I thought for a minute; we never have actually just played a game together, so I said "how about playing UNO?" Well, he was kind of surprised, but he agreed. We actually got into it, and had fun and played to the full 500 points. Of course, I had to let him win!! It was still early, so we also decided to watch a movie. We watched Return to Me. It was really a very good wonderful movie, and we really enjoyed it. So I had a great birthday weekend.

Funny, I don't really feel any older, but I guess when you get to my age, you just don't notice the change! The really exciting thing is that I am officially retiring the end of October! I actually only have 16 working days left, as I'm cutting down to part time for this last month. I can't wait to see what retiree's do!! I feel pretty certain that I'll still stay very busy, it just won't be nursing, which I've done for 44 years! Ain't life good?!

No comments: