Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Yummy Discovery!

Crock pot Apple Butter
We basically have an orchard in our back yard--peach trees, pear tree, and several apple trees. This of course is a wonderful thing! And this year they have produced prolifically (is that a word?). That means we have lots!

A week ago today, when we were at step-mom Kay's, Sheila and I were browsing through her new magazines. We found several good looking recipes, including a recipe for apple butter done in a slow cooker. Well! I was intrigued, as I could just picture our Rome apple tree full of apples, and I really love apple butter.

I copied the recipe and of course had to try it right away. It's really simple--which meets my criteria--and I thought it really turned out delicious! The most time-consuming part of course is peeling, coring and slicing the apples--4 pounds of sliced apples per recipe. I have made 2 batches so far, and I will probably do more, but I'm ready for a much needed break from the kitchen. It's never been my favorite place to spend time, and I also made 2 batches of peach jam in the last 2 days. I feel I've earned at least one evening, or maybe even a whole day, of reading, blogging, or anything else fun and relaxing.

Also an added bonus: Sheila gave me her recipe for peach cream pie..My! My! My! is it ever mouth-watering delicious. It was also fairly simple, which makes it taste even better. Lynn thought it was out of this world and had Janelle (his daughter) come and taste it. She thought it was almost as good as her apple cream pie (a recipe from her grandmother). It seems I'm developing some culinary skills after all!

3 comments:

Dee said...

Hi, I was just reading a few blogs tonight and found your blog. I enjoyed reading it and seeing your pictures.I will stop by again sometime. God Bless

Brenda said...

How about including your new recipes. . . especially the peach pie.
Thanks,
Brenda

Donna's Book Nook said...

To lookuptoday--thank you for stopping by my blog. I read your profile; sounds like you have a wonderful family. And like me, God is blessing you daily.